The Risk of Medications In Your Plumbing System
People often dispose of their medications in their plumbing systems. These include medications that have either expired or are unnecessary for whatever reason. But disposing of medications in your plumbing system will be extremely dangerous. The plumbing setup can be harmed, not to mention the old materials can run off into the environment. But you can dispose of these medications safely, as this guide will show.
The Threats Involved
There are multiple issues associated with disposing of medications in your plumbing system:
- Many medications can stick inside your pipes. This is the case for medications that dissolve and break down over time. Anything that has hard cases or capsules may also become a problem.
- As a medication dissolves, it can destroy the lining of your pipe system. The concern varies by the medication, but it should be checked accordingly.
- The medication can run off into a water source or other area outside your home. This can be dangerous to plants, animals, and other people. The problem is especially concerning if you are disposing of narcotics, as these can harm your property further.
- Medications can also cause odors in your plumbing system. This is due to various reactions triggered by medications. The problem can become concerning if you are using flavored medications.
How to Dispose of Medications the Right Way
The blockage issues involved with medications going in your plumbing system can be significant. But the good news is that you can dispose of medications in various ways. Here are a few things you can do when getting rid of your medications safely and without risk:
- You can mix medicines with dirt, old coffee grounds, or other unpalatable substances. The medications can be mixed with these and added in bags to be disposed of in the trash. Don’t put these down the drain. The work ensures that your medications will not break down in a landfill, not to mention they will not break apart further. Be sure you avoid crushing whatever you are using.
- Dispose of any old medicine packages accordingly. Make sure you scratch out any personal bits of data on your labels. You can also remove the label and shred it accordingly if you are capable of doing so. The key is to keep your personal info from being visible on the old package.
- You can also dispose of your old medications at a collection event. Such events allow people to safely dispose of old medicines that will be handled by the appropriate authorities. This option may be easier than others, but you should check online to see what the next events will be in your area.
Licensed Plumbing Help in Fort Worth, TX Area
Make sure you watch for how you handle medications and that you avoid adding them to your plumbing system. You will need to ensure you don’t bear with difficult issues in your pipes or drains, not to mention you won’t be at risk of producing clogs or other possible forms of damage. You can ask us at Lasiter and Lasiter Plumbing if you need more details on what you can handle surrounding your plumbing drains and pipes.